Public Works Department
Street and Sanitation Superintendent: Randy Hemsley
Street and Sanitation Employees
Household garbage is collected by the City each Wednesday. Waste needs to be in yellow garbage bags and placed curbside by 7:00 a.m. A package of five garbage bags can be purchased at Casey’s General Store, K & L Foods, Sigourney BP and at City Hall. Two sizes are available:
Recycling takes place each Thursday. The following items are to be placed in separate containers curbside by 7:00 a.m., garbage or grocery bags are not accepted as a container:
- Newspapers: All inserts that come in the newspaper can stay in the newspaper. Plastic bags, grocery sacks and string must be removed.
- Magazines/Catalogues: Remove any plastic or product samples, which may be attached.
- Mixed Residential Paper: Office paper, junk mail, brochures, envelopes, manila file folders. Make sure all non-paper product samples are removed from junk mail.
- Metals: Empty steel (tin) cans which held food products only pleas. Labels can stay on container.
- Plastic: Recyclable plastics only. Look for recycling symbol.
- Shredded Paper: Only item to be placed in plastic sack.
- Dry Paint Cans and Wrapping Paper are not recyclable items. Please place these items in with your garbage.
Requests for delivery must be received at the City Clerk’s office by 4:00 on Mondays or Thursdays. Deliveries and discharges will be made on Tuesdays and Fridays. No deliveries or discharges will be made on weekends. Containers will be allowed to remain on site one week, if demand allows it. Each discharge of the container is $25.00. Discharge of privately owned containers is $20.00.
Items prohibited in containers include:
- Roofing materials
- Household garbage
- Wet paint
- Grass clippings
- Cat litter
- Yard Waste
The City encourages residents to use the city compost site located at the east end of Washington Street. Only yard waste is acceptable. Free composted dirt is available to residents.